Sunday, August 14, 2011

Harriet, You'll Drive Me Wild!

Mem Fox 2003
illustrated by Marla Frazee

This book could very well be titled "Charlotte, You'll Drive Me Wild!" The little girl in this story is so very much like Charlotte, full of exuberance and curiosity. She doesn't mean to make such messes, and is always truly sorry afterwards but her patient mom can only hold it together for so long. All of my kids have heard me shout (in a half joking/half frustrated voice), "Ahhh, you're making me crazy!"

 
One morning at breakfast, she knocked over a glass of juice, just like that.
Her mother didn't like to yell, so instead she said, "Harriet, my darling child."
"I'm sorry," said Harriet, and she was.

Before lunch, when Harriet was painting a picture, she dripped paint onto the carpet, just like that.

Her mother didn't like to yell, so instead she said, "Harriet, my darling child.  Harriet, you'll drive me wild.  Harriet, sweetheart, what are we to do?"
"I'm sorry," said Harriet, and she was.



After Harriet is supposed to be napping and a feather pillow gets torn apart, her mom finally loses it and yells and yells.  There's hugs and smiles at the end though.

No comments:

Post a Comment