Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Owl and the Pussycat

My husband, Chris, and I are off to a Caribbean Island soon.  We've never done this before and I'm very excited to snorkel and lounge on the beach, and mostly to have each other all to ourselves!


Edward Lear
illustrated by Jan Brett 1991

I think I've always loved this poem for its absurd premise (an owl and a pussycat in love) and wonderful rhyming- I'm pretty sure I can recite it by heart. This poem pops up everywhere but this illustrated version is my favorite because Jan Brett's pictures are always a treat. Most of her other books are Nordic in theme so it's fun to have one bright and tropical with palm trees and colorful flowers. As usual, Brett's illustrations tell a couple stories (keep your eye on the yellow fish) and her attention to detail is full of fun.



The Owl looked up to the stars above,
And sang to a small guitar




So they took it away, and were married next day
By the Turkey who lives on the hill.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for introducing me to your blog! I'm excited to have it as a resource. "The Owl and the Pussycat" is a favorite poem of ours. We like the book version by Hilary Knight because it is fun to see the boy and girl in the story transform into the owl and the pussycat. Have you seen it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have the Hilary Knight version, but I've seen it and of course it's wonderful. We always love his illustrations (I've posted some of his books before). Thanks for reminding me about it- I'll have to keep an eye out for it now!

    ReplyDelete