Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Carrot Seed

I put a seed into the ground
And said, "I'll watch it grow."
I watered it and cared for it
As well as I could know.

One day I walked in my back yard,
And oh, what did I see!
My seed had popped itself right out
Without consulting me.
                -Gwendolyn Brooks

Ruth Krauss
Crockett Johnson 1945


A cold weekend, but Charlotte and I were out planting seeds in the garden (c'mon kale, lettuce and peas!). I've never had much luck with growing carrots. One year we planted them and they were skinny little things. Nothing like the giant carrot that appears in this story!





3 comments:

  1. i love it! such a great story:) It makes me want to plant carrots but we all know I would kill the carrots in the end....being the worst plant/garden tender ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete